Saturday, October 31, 2015

Ivy's Birth Story

The few weeks leading up to her birth were ROUGH! I thought I was in labor a couple of times and a week before she was born, we went to the hospital for them to just send us home. It was false labor. So, we scheduled to be induced on October 14th at 39 weeks. Eliza and Janie were both 9 and 10 days early so I thought she would be the same way. I was wrong! I was also dilated to 3 cm, so I thought she would come anytime. With my other births, if I was a 3, it meant I was in full blown labor. So, on October 14th, I called first thing in the morning to see when I should go in. They told me that the rooms were full and they were understaffed and to call back in an hour. So, from 6am-11am, I had to call back every hour. Finally, at 11am, they told me to be there in 30 minutes and they were ready for me! FINALLY! I had care lined up for the other children and my house was immaculate and ready. 5 minutes later, they called me and told me that Dr. England had to reschedule because he was leaving on his vacation and wouldn't be able to deliver in time that day. He rescheduled me for 4 DAYS LATER! I thought I was going to DIE. Because it was an elective induction, I couldn't use a different doctor. I don't think I've ever cried that hard. You just don't mess with a 9 month pregnant lady! You really mentally prepare yourself at the end of pregnancy and getting through each day is a massive accomplishment. (For me anyway.) Those last few weeks are KILLER, so when he extended me 4 extra days, you may as well have hit me with a semi. I was TICKED! I didn't want to talk to or see anyone. I just wanted to sit in my own misery and feel sorry for myself. I was so uncomfortable and completely exhausted and maxed out. Between her being breech and going in for an inversion that I ended up not needing and her head not engaging and false labor, those last weeks really messed with me.

Finally, after 4 LOOOONG days and still no signs of labor, I went in to be induced on October 18th. Thankfully, she turned on her own and her head was down and not breech anymore. That was a huge blessing.

We got there at 7:30am. They started pitocin right away and then Dr. England came in and broke my water at about 10:30am. I have never seen so much amniotic fluid in my life! It kept coming and coming and coming! Talk about opening the flood gates! The doctor said that was why she wasn't engaging into my pelvis and that was also why I didn't go into labor sooner. There was too much water and she was just floating around and ballotable right up until my water broke. Mike and my nurse both noticed how much smaller my belly got after he broke my water. As soon as my water broke, I was so giddy and excited! I finally knew she was REALLY coming this time!

At about 11:30, I got my epidural and relaxed for a few hours. Mike and I both took a nap and enjoyed ourselves! Epidurals are terrifying to get, but the reward is like no other. I went from a 6 to a 10 in about 30 minutes and when I was a 10, I was dying to push, but the doctor wasn't there yet! Can you tell I had some beef with Dr. England this time around? He put me through the ringer! My body was pushing and I was trying so hard not to. I yelled to the nurse that "SHE IS FALLING OUT!" It really felt like she was, but she wasn't. Hahaha! I was so dramatic. 

HALLELUJAH! Dr. England finally arrived and I was more than ready to push. The next contraction came and I pushed twice and there she was! Just like every other birth, it was peaceful, joyful, exhilarating and wonderful. Buddy was so amazing to have right there with me. He was my rock the entire labor and at the end of my pregnancy. I wish everyone could experience him the way I do. He is so tender and careful and kind when he wants to be. He was really my prince charming. He always steps up to the plate when I need him to and I just love having him close to me during labor. My love for him grows a little deeper each time we have a baby. And do you know a single man with 4 daughters that isn't just a remarkable person? I don't. Ivy is so lucky to have him.

Ivy Anne Bennion was born at 3:07pm on Sunday October 18th. She was 8lbs. 7oz. and 20 1/2 in long. She is named after her great-grandmother Patricia Anne Cryer and her grandmother Delores Ann Burnett. I hope she lives up to her name with these 2 amazing women.

Enjoy these photos of her first few hours of life...

First, walking into the hospital ready for baby!...
 So excited to become parents of 5! WHAT?!?!?! Is this real life?....
 I was ecstatic when I met my nurse. Gayle was amazing! My parents were in Mississippi visiting Ephraim on this day and I was heart broken that they couldn't be there while I was in the hospital. Gayle looked a lot like my mom, so it made me feel lots better. She took care of me just as well as my mom would have. It was special...
 Saying goodbye to my belly...
Bud's view...
 My view...
Nurse just checked me and I'm dilated to a 10! Ready to push! This is when things got a little bit dramatic. I was feeling a lot of pain and intense pressure and my body wanting to push. The few minutes waiting for the doctor was a bit of a whirlwind. I was a little bit panicked, but everything turned out just fine. I was so glad Buddy was there with me...
Here she is! She is absolutely perfect in every single way. Already beaming with pride for her...
 There's that Bennion(Peterson) mouth! She looked a lot like Eliza when she was born...
 I'm so ridiculously lucky and I know it... (My dad would say, "You're not lucky, you're blessed." Maybe it's a little bit of both...
 True love...
 Skin on skin for the first time. There is not a better feeling...
 Her first picture with her parents...
 Feeling all of the feelings....
 Such a relief to have her here and out of my body! Oh I love her so...
 Getting wrapped up in warm blankets...
 8 lbs. 7 oz. Nice and healthy!...

 Daddy checking her out...
 Nice to meet you...
 Full on crying at this point...
 Proud...
 She is so beautiful...
 Ready to eat!...
Just got moved into my recovery room and had a moment by myself with her. The veil is so thin at this point and I can feel The Spirit so strong right now. Praying and thanking Heavenly Father for this angel He sent to me. It's overwhelming...
Time to meet her siblings! Claire and Caleb were both so excited and tender with her. She thought she was the cutest. Janie about died and started talking all kinds of baby talk right away and was just giddy with excitement! Eliza didn't like her or me one single bit during the visit. 
 Claire is so proud and adorable...
 Caleb and his hillbilly tooth were happy too...
 Janie thinks she has her very own doll...
 And Grandma Dodo for the win watching the kids all day long then hauling them to the hospital to meet sister...
 "If you think my hands are full, you should see my heart."
 And Jamie and Chris were her other visitors that night. I loved having them...
Now, time for bed after a long day. One of the very best days of my life! Welcome to the world, Angel Ivy!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Oh Jennie she is so precious! I'd have some major beef with Dr. England after all that too. I hope he sent you flowers or gave you a discount or something! ;) Congrats on that beautiful baby girl!