Tuesday, June 16, 2015

IT'S A GIRL!!!

We found out a few weeks ago that we are having a baby girl! To say I was completely shocked is an understatement. I wore all blue to the appointment and painted my nails blue too. Even when I was pregnant with Janie, I thought I had one boy and one girl left after her. I hoped that Eliza was a girl first so that Bud would want one more baby after her in hopes of a boy. So when Eliza was a girl, I just KNEW this one would be a boy. I even had a boy name picked out. Tate. I was already calling him Tater Tot in my mind. Hahahaha! It sounds so ridiculous!

When the ultrasound tech told us it was a girl, I made her check and then double check and then check 14 more times. Then, when I got home, I studied those pictures and searched for any signs of manhood! In my mind, all these years, I thought Caleb would get a little brother. I was sad that he wouldn't get to grow up with a brother. I really was pretty upset about it. AT FIRST.

NOW that I have had time to let it all soak in, I could not be more excited. The family dynamic of 4 girls and 1 boy vs 3 girls and 2 boys is a lot different! I don't want to sound like I'm ungrateful for another daughter because I am BEYOND grateful. It just throws you a major curve-ball when you imagine things a little bit differently. Growing up with 7 brothers had me ready for boys.

I have learned: Caleb and Mike have PLENTY of testosterone in this family to keep us in check. I wish I could re-live Caleb's life knowing he'd be my only son. 4 girls will give me a lifetime of best friends and fun outings. Caleb will learn how to be a really great husband. Just like Bud, his friends will be his brothers. Strong girls are powerful and my daughters will make the world a better place. God knows me better than I know myself.

I'm truly humbled and excited to hold that precious baby girl in my arms. October will be such a special month for me and our family.

No comments: