Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Church...

This post really is just for me.

I got released from being a Primary Chorister. I was only in that calling for 10 months. Before I was called, I know that God was preparing me for that calling. I REALLY REALLY needed to be prepared!

Buddy and I have been Primary Teachers together twice. Probably for 2 years total. Since we first taught, we always joked about the chorister. We always teased that it would be the worst calling ever. I always said I would DIE if I got that calling because it would be so far out of my comfort zone! I always felt so bad for the person standing at the front of the class literally doing anything and everything to keep the attention of those kids. The chorister was always an inside joke to us. We were rude and would look at each other during Primary and laugh inside when we both new the lady up front was making a fool of herself. We had this "I know what you're thinking and I'm thinking the same thing" look. That poor chorister!

Fast forward 2 years after being released from teaching primary and after being released from 2 years of cub scouts. For about a month, I would see the Primary Presidency in the halls and I would get this feeling inside that I was supposed to be in Primary. BUT I WAS in Primary (scouts) so what I was feeling was just silly. Each week for a couple of weeks, I just kept having a feeling that I needed to reach out to Julie (Primary President). I had no idea why. I just did. So, I called her one day and just told her that I had been thinking about her and primary and let her know that if she ever needed a sub or help in anyway, I would be more than happy to help. She broke down in tears and let me know that this phone call was an answer to her prayers. I got off the phone and felt good about calling her. A few weeks later, I got called to be the Primary Chorister. I wasn't surprised. I knew it was coming. Some people reading this may not think it's a big deal, but to me, it was a HUGE deal! I cannot sing. I do not sing. I didn't know how to lead music. I do not like being the center of attention at all. They for sure had the wrong gal, but they didn't. They had the right one!

I learned so much about myself in this calling. I learned that anyone can teach music and especially on the days that they have the Spirit with them. I learned that you don't have to sing solos. I learned that a smile goes a long long way. I learned that nothing brings the Spirit into a soul as quickly as the voices of children singing. I learned that I can do so much more than I ever thought. I learned, again, that God knows us so well and He knew this is just what I needed in my life.

This is the best calling I've ever had and I hope I get to do it again some day. I was just telling Buddy that, "I am a Primary lifer! I never want to be out of Primary!" I just love the Primary so so much! The next day after I said that, I got a text that I needed to meet with the Bishopric.

So, when I was called to be the 2nd Counselor in the Young Women's Presidency, I was broken hearted. I still am. My first bit of teaching music was HARD. I was huge and pregnant, sweating bullets and so nervous. After each singing time, I would have to go outside and walk around the whole church to cool myself down. HAHAHAHA! I literally had to wipe my forehead! By the end, I was beaming to be up there teaching music! It was so fun and brought me so much joy! We have our program in 2 weeks and thankfully, I get to finish what I started.

Now that I'm more focused on Young Women's, I can once again see God's hands in my life. The youth in the church are so amazing and so tenderhearted. I know they need good leaders to help keep them on track and participating. I hope I can be what they need me to be.

I just truly believe that God has a plan for each of us. He places people in our lives to help us. He gives us "burdens" to make us stronger. My heart is just about to burst feeling the love that God has for me. I know that I will be edified in this calling just like I was in my last. I know that because of the atonement, Christ will fill in for my short-comings. I hope I can be there for these girls in the way that they need me. I am all about woman-power, so I am excited! Most of all, I hope we can just have fun! I might make them sing Primary songs to me, but I know we'll just have fun.

No comments: