Monday, March 31, 2014

Eliza's Birth Story

I just want to say that I am SO HAPPY that she is finally here! I really struggled this pregnancy and it is such a relief to have her here safely and in my arms. I hear a lot of people say, "They're a lot easier inside of you than outside of you." This is not true for me at all! This pregnancy was so uncomfortable and painful and miserable, to be honest. I think I suffered from pre-partum depression (if there is such a thing). It was no fun. But now, I feel so great and relieved and HAPPY!

It started about 2 weeks before her arrival! I had my first "bloody show". Gross, I know. Bloody shows are so frustrating because you hear about a lot of people having them and then having their baby the very next day. That was not the case for me. I was contracting and having these little gross "shows" for 2 weeks off and on. Talk about torture! I never knew if it was real or not real. I ate a lot of pineapple and walked more than I should have. 2 days before she came, I walked up to the temple and up and down that hill and ran some stairs a whole bunch of times. I was going to have that baby if it meant I was going to have to run a marathon! I was ready! I turned on church music and walked around the temple a hundred times and cried and walked and cried and prayed and cried some more. It was hysterical now looking back on it. I was so physically and mentally exhausted because of so many things that were going on around me. Add some raging hormones and you'll find a 9 month pregnant woman walking around the temple losing her mind. Phew I'm glad I made it through! HA! Talk about drama!

The day before she came, I had a doctor's appointment at 11:00am. I asked him to strip my membranes(again and OUCH) and I didn't stop contracting after that! I was dilated to a 3 at the appointment. I contracted all day and night long after that. They were real and painful! I knew it was time. I also knew that I labor slowly so I wanted to stay home for as long as possible. So, I let my family sleep beautifully all night (I'm so nice) while I breathed through my contractions and tried to sleep in between them. I finally got up at 5:00am and cleaned my bathroom and showered and got ready and packed up some loose ends and ate some breakfast. This all took a couple of hours because I had to stop with each contraction. I finally woke Mike up at 7:00am and told him to get ready. The kids woke up at 7:30 and we fed them and got them ready for the day and took them to Grandma Julia.(bless her) Then, Mike was hungry so we went through the drive through at McDonald's to get him some breakfast. We were taking our time, but I was SO ready for an epidural and some relief! We finally got to the hospital at about 8:30. The nurse checked me and I was only dilated to a 3 1/2!!! I was so ticked! I contracted all night to be a 1/2 cm more? UGH! I was so worried she was going to send me home, but Dr. England came in and checked me and made sure I was a 4 so I could be admitted. OUCH again! Finally! I was so excited!

By the time I got into my bed and paper work and things done, it was 11:00am and I was a 5 and ready for my epidural! I hate getting them. So bad. They terrify me so much, but the relief is so worth it. I finally got the relief I needed and slept for a couple of hours. I woke up and felt a whole lotta pressure to push! I started to panic a bit because I REALLY needed to push. The nurse checked me and sure enough she was there and coming! Everyone rushed to get things into place and Dr. England ran in just in time. I pushed once and she came right out! Eliza was born at 1:51pm. She had a lot of dark hair and the chubbiest face and some long fingernails! I live for moments like this. She was finally in my arms and it felt good.

My hospital stay was fabulous. Anytime you get to leave 3 children and a husband at home and food served to you for every meal is a vacation in my eyes! Oh, and let's not forget that I got to have my new baby to myself all day long every day! It was such a treat! But when it was time to go home, I was so excited to have our whole family all together.

This past year has been a roller coaster and probably the hardest year of my life. Having Eliza here has given me such a sense of peace and calmness. She's really saved me and I owe her for that. I'm so glad she's finally here. Did I mention that yet? :)

No comments: