Monday, April 25, 2011

Bad mom...

We had a really bad day last week. We were at Target walking from the back of the store to the front of the store to check out. Caleb was very fussy and freaking out and I was to my wits end. So, I took him out of his buckle and put him in the back of the shopping cart. I figured it would be fine for 2 minutes while I checked out and he was in heaven! He was laughing and loving life. I'm sure you know what comes next. He stood up and reached out of the cart to grab something from Claire's hand. It was all slow motion after that. I watched him flip out of the cart and gash his head on the side of the cart on the way down. I was sick and grabbed our stuff and ran out of the store straight to the Instacare. You bet I won't ever let that happen again whether or not he's whining the worst whine or crying the worst cry while he's strapped in his seat. The doctor looked at me like I was a complete idiot. And I was. What was I thinking? Breaks my heart. I won't ever forget it, but I'm so happy to say that he is doing just fine and he even looks pretty cute with his stitches and bandaid on his forehead.


So deep I saw his bone...

Poor little bug was terrified of the nurse...
The worst part of all was holding him down while he was being stitched up...
Happy as can be with his stitches at church...
I hope all of you moms learn from me and don't let it happen to your babies! It could have been so much worse.

4 comments:

Shantay said...

Poor lil guy. His face made me cry.

Wren and Savy said...

So sad! I'm so happy he's okay!

Matt and Carly Van Dyke said...

How scary!!!! I'm sorry, glad to see he's doing ok!

Jami West said...

Jennie, I am a bad mom too!! I have my two boys, ages 16 months and 2.5 years old. Only one can sit in the cart and my 2.5 year old takes everything off the shelves. So I made him sit in the cart because he was driving me nuts. And we happened to be at Target. I was looking at the little boy shoes and he reached out to a pair of Toy Story shoes and flipped backward out of the cart and landed on his face. He held his breath for the longest time and finally let out a huge scream. I felt like the worst mom in the world. He didn't need stitches thankfully but I felt so awful. Of course he got an ice cream cone later :) And I will never put one of my children in the cart without a buckle ever again!
And I'm a doubly bad mom. I let my little one jump on an exercise trampoline when he was 1 year old and he fell back and cut his head. Blood was pouring out his head and he had to have it stapled.
In other words... I beat you. I'm a worse mom! (you are so not a bad mom btw! not even close!)