Thursday, January 20, 2011

I think we can all relate...


Yesterday was a rough day. I was just a little emotional. Tears came and went all day long, so I emailed my mom hoping for some encouraging words. I wrote,

"Mom, I'm having an identity crisis!!!! I seem to have lost mine somewhere between the laundry room and the dishwasher. Help. Tears. Falling. Everywhere. Boo. Hoo."

I'm blogging this because I want you all to read my mother's words and put your name in instead of mine. Because she is right. And she made me feel so much better. And, if you're like me, it will make you feel better about your redundant days as a mother.

"You're not losing your identity. You're finding it. You are a WOMAN who is a MOTHER and the #1 person in the lives two children and you are using your talents and time to serve them, teach them and love them. You are still JENEVIEVE, who, for a part of your life, will not be able to have as much time to yourself. But remember you are still smart, still talented, still beautiful, still fun, still spiritual and still your authentic self. Even though it might feel like you are seen as a role, and unappreciated at that, you are still the one and only original, and you have to realize that no one else is or can be the same as you and do what you are doing. And you are learning what it means to "lose yourself to find yourself," as Jesus said. It's okay to cry for awhile. I totally, totally understand. I love you, Jennie. You're doing great! Wipe up those tears. You need to save some for later.

Love,
Mom (the authentic Catherine, besides)"

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE/appreciate/adore/am obsessed with being a mother. But sometimes, you just need to email your mom to help get you through a rough day...

9 comments:

Jami West said...

Wow!! I am so glad you posted this! I have been having the same issue lately. And your Mom's email back to you needs to be published in a self help book for every Mother out there!

Matt and Carly Van Dyke said...

CCP is a wise woman! She definitely has a lot of experience! That email gave me goose bumps, I loved it, thank you for sharing Jennie! One day little Clairey-poo will need to email you with a tearful plea! Moms are the best! You are such a beautiful mother, I hope to be like you with my children!

Krystal Zorad said...

wow! Thank you for posting. This helped me so much! Its great to know that all moms can feel this way sometimes and its ok. Those words helped me so much. Your a great person just like your mother is :) Thanks jennie! We miss you guys :(

The Brandt Family said...

wow perfect timing...my mini meltdown was just yesterday!! thanks ccp and thanks jen for sharing, you are such a good mommy, friend, and example!

The Baldwin's said...

oh jen, how cute is this post?!? i'm sad you were sad, and i think every mommy has these days and there will be many many more! i think you are one stunning woman, and thank you for sharing this! love you! xoxo ps claire saying a bra is for your nipples, now that will turn any day the right way :) haha what a little beauty!

Ben and Natalies Family Zoo said...

Cath--you made me cry! I think we all feel this MANY times as a mom. Love YOU Jennie!

Brady & Ashley said...

Thank you so much for posting this! Those are some truly powerful words. I'm not even doing the mom thing yet, but I think we all get lost in our day to day shinanigans & start to wonder, "where is that girl I knew?! How did I become this crazy, boring, frumpy person that doesn't even have time to think?" I kind of want to put this up on my wall! :0)

Ligia said...

I appreciate it when other moms share these kinds of things. It puts me at peace to know I'm not the only one who has rough days. You're an awesome mom. :)

Snell family said...

Do you know how much I love your mom??? That was SO good to hear!! And SO glad you put a post up like this. It proves we are all human, right?