Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Visiting Grandpa Long

On our way to South Carolina, we decided to stop in Poplar Bluff, Missouri to see Grandpa Long. Bud and I haven't seen him for 4 years and that was well overdue! He is too sick to travel to Utah where most of his family is, so I was so thankful we were able to go to him. We were only going to stay one night so Bud could start working right away, but because of some major flooding in Tennessee, we had to stay an extra day. I'm so glad we did. What a great experience for us!

He took advantage of Bud and Dody's able bodies and put them straight to work in his beautiful garden...

We didn't pack appropriately, so we compromised...

Grandpa Long, so proud of his garden... (I want a garden soooo bad!!!)

The back of his home that he built. This house was in the country! His property looked to me like it just came out of the books Summer of the Monkeys and Huckleberry Finn!


Where's Waldo? I mean Claire?

Just a trailer hanging out in the back yard...

Wild strawberries. Grandpa made me eat one and it had no flavor at all. Just like Styrofoam...

He had more junk than I've ever seen. He claims it's his "last practical joke!" Sucks for whoever has to clean it up!

The pile to the left is where they burn all of their trash. I'm telling you...straight country! Oh and the school bus? They used to camp in it like 500 years ago and now it's rotting away. :(

His shop that he built himself. Comes with a fridge, bathroom, some rockin music and LOTS of junk...

Love the front of their humble home...

View from the front porch...

There is NOTHING like a front porch swing... and of course he built it...

My side kick couldn't kick it in the sun...




After a long rough day in the garden...

Buddy's Grandpa Ivan, Bud and Caleb...Grandpa loved Caleb...

My kiddos and me!...


I'm so glad we have these pictures with Grandpa Long...


And Claire's favorite person...Dodo...

It really touched me to go into this home that I had never been in before filled with pictures of us. I wish that we could be closer to Grandma and Grandpa Long so we could help take care of Grandpa! He is really sick right now and struggling to take care of himself which is why Grandma Geri is not in the pictures. She left when we came and took a much needed break for a few days with her sisters. I haven't spent much time with Bud's grandparents and I felt such a sweet love for them like I have known them forever. It was really hard to say goodbye. We all cried. I hope Grandpa can stay healthy enough for us to stop and see him again on our way back to Utah.
My favorite Grandpa Ivan quote:
"When they're young, they step on your toes and when they're grown they step on your heart."
I hope my babies never step on my heart.
I can't wait to go back and see them again!

1 comment:

Ben & Natalie's Family Zoo said...

What a fun adventure! Cool that you could spend time there, just kickin' it in the garden!