Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Baby Story.

I'm sitting here in my hospital bed holding my sweet new son and listening to his deep breaths and toots and squeeks. Life does not get any better than this! He is my little hero. I am amazed with my instant love for him. He is just perfect and so dang cute. You can tell he is the closest thing to heaven. I feel overwhelmed with gratitude and love.
Yesterday went pretty close to perfect. We got to the hospital at 7:30 and Dr. England(who I love) broke my water and started pitocin at 8:00. Contractions were about killing me by noon so I called for my epidural. By the way, contractions are way more painful with pitocin and being induced. Ouch! I was really scared for my epidural and I cried and cried and squeezed Buddy's hand because it was so painful and awful. I didn't remember it being like that with Claire. But he finally finished with it and it only numbed the top of my right leg and my foot. He upped the dose and still nothing. I had to keep waiting and waiting to see if it would get better and the contractions were getting sharper and worse by the minute. I was terrified I was doing to have to deliver with no anesthesia. I was prepared for that. He FINALLY came back and re-did the epidural and put it in a different spot on my back and it worked like a champ. I was so thankful and the relief was so needed. This epidural was different than with Claire. With Claire, I felt nothing. My legs were dead rocks and I had no control over the bottom half of my body. I couldn't feel when to push. The nurses had to tell me when to push. This time was much better. I could feel the pressure and only a small amount of pain, but I knew when to push and could feel the contractions. Not painful though. I could just feel them. But I liked it so much better that way. I felt much more control over my body and still hardly any pain.
At about 3:30 or so, I was dilated to a five. It was a long day. 4:15 rolled around and I was feeling a lot of pressure and even the urge to push. It was awesome! I called the nurse and she checked me and said I was a 7-8 and to call her back if I felt more pressure. Sure enough, I called her about 5 minutes later with the urge to push again. I was a ten!!! Time to push! She had me push once without the doctor in the room and stopped me right away when she saw how close he was. I was dying to push. The urge was killing me and he was going to come whether I pushed or not! Where was Dr. England?!?!? I was starting to flip out. He finally came in and I pushed for 7 minutes when Caleb was finally here. It was awesome and wonderful and I loved feeling it and knowing when to push and seeing him for the first time. Only a mom knows the feeling. It was incredible to breath for the first time! I had lungs! Oh the relief!!!! My favorite days in our marriage so far with Buddy have been delivery days. The sweet tender heart of Bud comes out to the max and it's just another reminder of why I love him so much. He's the best coach and cheerleader!
Caleb is a healthy 8lbs. 10oz. and 20in. long. I'm really happy with my decision to be induced because if I had waited as long as I did with Claire, he'd be much bigger. I really loved being induced and it was much quicker than last time.
Recovery has been easier! I'm not nearly as swollen and the bleeding is much less. The tearing is also way less and I even showered all by myself! That was unheard of with Claire. Claire hasn't been able to see him yet because of the H1N1 hospital rules, but tomorrow she will get to see him for the first time when we get home and I can't wait! I miss her like crazy. I've only been able to see her in the waiting room. Poor girl has no idea what's coming her way.
Caleb is healthy and happy and nursing well. He's just darling and I love that he's all mine and I can kiss his lips and there's not a thing he can do about it!!!
Time for bed. We are so excited to be a new family of 4!!! More pictures to come.....

7 comments:

Kara Simmons. said...

What a beautiful baby boy! Those cheeks of his are to die for! Love the birth story. So glad recovery is better this time around. It's crazy how different each labor and delivery can be for each child! Can't wait to see more pictures of him. Congrats again to the Bennion family!

Brady & Ashley said...

Ahh...what a cute post! I can't wait for the day when it's my turn! :) He's darling! Congrats to all of you!

Shantay said...

You rock Jennie! I had an epidural with Chloe that was really mild too. I loved it because I could actually feel her coming out...amazing! He is beautiful you guys make really cute kiddos!

paulnmea said...

I am so glad it went so well and you liked being induced. He is so, so sweet.

Rachel said...

Such a handsome little guy! Congratulations! Is your Dr. England Dr. Edwin England? If so, he's mine too! Where did you deliver? Glad you had such a great experience...hope little Caleb is done with those darn lights soon!

Ligia said...

Thanx for sharing your birth story. I love reading them. He's so cute. Hope I get to meet him.

thehaagas said...

Congrats again! I am so excited for you. I am now going to Dr. England, I have only seen him once but I really liked him and I love the new hospital. I am glad to hear you had a great delivery.